Buying property in the Aude
We've put together some information to help you find your dream home in the south of France.
- House prices in the Aude
- French property buying process
- How to buy the perfect property in France
- Research property for sale in the Aude using the internet
- Explore the Aude to find the area you like
- Come on a househunting trip to the Aude
- Property finding services in the Aude
- Glossary of French real estate and building term
We also have some general observations about property in the Aude. Prices have dropped in the past 3 years and seem ot have reached their bottom level. The market has been very soft but there are signs that it's improving. Still a buyer's market.
- It's very difficult to find detached houses with gardens unless your budget is over €250 000,00. It doesn't matter that you don't mind being outside a village, it just isn't the way they built here. If you want a detached house with a garden you're better off to look at newer villas. Expect to pay at least €190 000,00.
- Any existing outside space is going to add to the price of a house in the Aude.
- There is no longer any reason to be afraid of renovating. The days of unregistered cowboy builders is past. if you can't find a registered builder you aren't looking. Lots of builders, trades, and project managers are or speak English. The very best buys in the Aude are often properties that need renovation. People are still so mired in the old horror stories that they tend to shy away from them.
- The Aude is bigger than you expect and it takes longer to go from one place to another than you anticipate. You get used to it, it isn't an issue. If you want to look at houses for sale around Carcassonne don't stay in Bezier. It'll take you two hours to get to Carcassonne. There are lots of places in the Aude to stay.
- If you're planning to run a B&B or chambres d'hotes you're almost always better off to buy one that's already operating. Even if you do your own renovations you'll have no income in that time. You also have to build the business, especially in the off season. Better to start with ongoing buisness and build it.